Tuesday 22 September 2009

A new and impressive experience...internet radio...

Another day, another set of thoughts for you, this time about a new experience I had last night which was surprisingly awesome and really enjoyable.

So I was sitting at home last night and checked out Twitter and saw that the amazing Jay Nash was appearing on a radio show on NEWMUSICINFERNO, courtesy of a link. I wasn't sure what it was but it turns out it was an internet based radio channel at blogtalkradio.com.

I was curious as to what it was and how it worked so I signed up, promptly forgot my username and password within seconds and when I finally got in, was still none the wiser as to what I needed to do. So I sat and waited and then on the stroke of midnight (UK time), the browser refreshed and the show started, a chatroom loaded and in my ears was the voice of John Rankin, I guess you'd describe him as an amateur radio host (meant in the nicest sense) hailing out of the USA. After a few technical issues he was under way and the two hours flew by, it was quite surreal. Within 10 minutes I found myself emailing John a couple of Jay Nash tracks as he'd had problems getting hold of the ones he'd been sent previously and putting out a recommendation for the listeners to check out Greg Holden just because I'm cheeky like that and like sharing the love of good music.

Halfway through the show, Jay, Tony Lucca, Matt Duke and Roy Jay appeared and chatted for an hour or so. It was very light hearted and extremely funny and the guys seemed to be very at ease just chatting away and having fun and well, you can hear the whole show and decide for yourself by clicking here.

Afterwards I chatted briefly to John before I crashed (it was 2am) and he confirmed he had over 27,000 listeners tuning in regularly. I was absolutely stunned, I genuinely had no idea how popular something like this could be it was quite mindblowing really. John appears to have a love of music and is I guess evangelising about music in the same way as I hopefully am...only in a very different media.

It got me thinking about expanding my means of talking about music...then I had a reality check and thought...."hmmm not sure I could do that regularly for 2 hours, nor have I necessarily got a voice for radio"...so I'll opt to blogging, twittering and youtubing for the time being. I'll also be checking in again to listen to John's show despite the early morning finishes in the hope and expectation of finding some more music I can enjoy.

By the way, the above was not planned for tonight's blog, I had something else in mind but this took priority just because I was that impressed last night with the whole thing.

Bye for now xx

No comments:

Post a Comment