Friday 18 September 2009

Action Stations...a new recommendation!!!!

Blog readers, friends, people....WHAT.....IS.....UP?!?!?

It seems like an eternity ago I sat down and wrote something so let me say sorry and explain that it's been a mixture of feeling a bit unwell and very tired and run down that's prevented me sitting down and putting something together. In fact last night was the first proper night's sleep in ages, I slept like a baby for the first time in so long, well...I woke up at 12, 3 and 5 and wet the bed... :-)

Ok so that's the excuses out the way and there will be much blogging over the next week, more potentially than at any time so far so keep up to date!

So let's start off tonight with a recommendation shall we? This is not a new one to me but it is an artist I've never mentioned before so unless you've been thieving my iPod or reading my mind, there's a fair old chance you won't know who Sean N Smith is!

As with all my recommendations, I'll give you a low down on how I found him. His recent EP Action City (released under the name of Sean Smith and the Setting Suns) was produced by the breathtakingly talented David Immergluck (Counting Crows) and features backing vocals and guitars by awesome Low Stars front man Chris Seefried. I was checking out Immy's website and that's how I found Sean as he's listed as an album produced by Immy. I did my usual iTunes, MySpace scan and the rest is history.

I have both of his musical offerings and they're a bit different. "Underachiever" (which was released under the name of Sean Smith) features 5 tracks which are a blend of acoustic and bigger band chilled out rock maybe even Americana songs. It's actually one of those rare gems that you can listen to at any time even late at night. I'm quite fond of it and it has some great musical touches which you can see Immergluck has put his brilliant hands over.

Here's a video of his song Satellite, it's worth a watch...click here.

Action City is another little gem. It has a different sound, a much bigger band sound and reminds me a touch of some of Elvis Costello's music. The underlying good visual song writing remains throughout and again there's smatterings of Immergluck right the way through it which actually cements the belief I had from listening to Underachiever that two brilliant artists in Smith and Immergluck produce awesome music in tandem.

Now Sean is a rarity and when I give you the next bit of direction, be nice and don't do the unfair and unjust thing. On his personal website, he has a player and in there are all the songs on both his EPs in full and in great quality. So you can listen and judge both for youself but don't rip them, go and buy them if you like them, they're both on iTunes.

There we go, so I'm back with hopefully a bang tonight...you've got a full frontal recommendation.

And there'll be some more to come over the coming days...

Stay tuned...oh and it's nice to be back xx

No comments:

Post a Comment