Saturday 10 October 2009

Rewinding the time with Joshua Radin

Ok last reference to the week in reverse...promise. So we're now back at Monday night, I'd say 9:30 - 11pm and Joshua Radin's gig at Koko in London.

Firstly I'll tell you a bit about the venue. I'd never been there before but its an absolutely amazing place. Koko was opened in 1900 as a theatre and over the years played host to many extremely famous names including the legendary Charlie Chaplin. Over the years it underwent subsequent name changes and many guises before closing in 2004 as Camden Palace. It re-opened in late 2004 following a multi-million pound refurbishment as Koko but has kept a lot of the original charm and decor you'd expect from a venue with a history spanning nearly 110 years with nice twists of the modern world throughout. The place itself feels vast with loads of levels to stand and watch and even chill out spaces with sofas and TV screens showing the live show for people who just want to relax.



The acoustics at Koko are second to none though, honestly some of the best acoustics I've heard anywhere to the point that no matter where you stood, you could hear the music at a great level and completely clearly at all times. It's THE place to see music with a biggish crowd.

So now onto Joshua's set. I'm thinking he played for about 90 minutes playing I'd reckon 15 songs. There were a mix of old songs, song from his most recent album Simple Times including Brand New Day, I'd Rather Be With You and One Of Those Days and a couple of songs from his next album...which has no name or completion date.

Not being anything more than a passively new Joshua Radin fan and having heard no more than 4 or 5 of his songs before the gig I was mightily impressed. Not only does this amazingly talented singer/songwriter command a stage but has the ability to capture an audience with his story telling, chatting, humour, warmth and of course music. He seems an artist truly at ease with himself and his music. For every time Joshua sang the crowd went silent - you could have at times heard a pin drop at times and you really pick that up on the videos I shot (which are on my youtube channel).

This I guess was highlighted brilliantly twice by Joshua and the band turning the gig into a 40's-style radio shack show with all five of them crowded round one microphone with the amps off. I sadly only caught Sky as the camera died but you'll see what I mean.

So Joshua's headed round Europe at the moment before heading over to Australia and then back to the US. He's certainly made one new fan here in the UK and I'm sure quite a few more.

Next time on the backwards review of the week I'm going to cover one of the two support acts from Monday who I'd seen once before and who have subsequently found a place in my heart and iPod this week.

Have a great weekend all x

4 comments:

  1. Good that someone can explore the road less traveled and can find some real gems to blog about.

    Great shot of the acoustic structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting a comment, means a lot :-)

    Glad you enjoyed the read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice blog and VERY nice that you can link to music of the artist.
    i LOVE Joshua Radin and get to see him for the first time in L.A. (USA) and i am so excited.
    ***
    that concert hall KoKo sounds like an AMAZING place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeeeey i m gonna see joshua on thursday..I m so excited..thanks for sharing such amazing things..really enjoyable!
    Awesome work Rich! x

    ReplyDelete