Friday 9 October 2009

Being there at the very beginning...

So I'm still in my backwards review of the week and the next on my target list is the band that preceded Thea Ford on Tuesday night, a band I now know go by the name of Empire State. That sounds like I didn't pay much attention, far from it, these guys are so new that they hadn't even settled on a name. The working title on Tuesday night, as I found out from lead singer Paul Claxton was "The Latters" which is also in my opinion a great name.

But sometimes a name isn't important, it's what lies beneath it that matters. So these three guys had all fallen out of other bands and come together just a few weeks ago but played like they'd been together for years. Their 5 song shortish set was eye-catching not only because of the quality of the music but the absolutely brilliant vocals of Paul Claxton. What I really enjoyed more than anything was the rawness. There's something special about the early days of a singer/songwriter or band when everything is new and not so polished because the songs are still fresh and the artist is still learning how to play them. I was totally taken with the songs and there's a few on my youtube channel just waiting for you to see.

They're playing the Ground Floor Bar in Notting Hill (London) on the 15th October and will hopefully get their myspace, etc up and running soon after that, but in the meantime go check out Paul's myspace page and keep an eye out, these guys could be headed places in my opinion and I am so happy I was there right at the start to see it...I'll be keeping a close eye on them!

Back to the youtubing, still lots more videos to come and next under the spotlight...Joshua Radin and there are at least 2 more individual and new music reviews to follow that.

Catch you all again soon, but don't go too far away! x

No comments:

Post a Comment