Sunday 9 August 2009

Sublime to ridiculous...

So Wednesday night I went to see Roy Rieck and The Medley Band play at the Road Trip. They were as it turned out last on / the headline act and absolutenly nailed what was a brilliant set. There's videos from their set on my youtube channel (which you can also access from the links panel on the right).

Before Roy and the guys came on, there were 3 other acts. Two were solo female musicians who put on nice sets but were seemingly easily forgettable I guess due to the noise in the place. That forgettable I didnt even get a name for either.

However what caught my eye for the wrong reason was something abhorent. This guy turned up on stage with what I can only describe as the worst act ever. To put this into perspective, Simon Cowell would have taken out a shot gun and plowed this buffoon down if he'd appeared on a talent show. This guy turned up with a loop recorder, electric guitar and a his own personal beat box and played a routine he described as "I improvise everything, I get up and I have no idea what I'm going to play". It was awful to say the least, I had no idea what he was playing either...some people really need to be told that music isn't for them and they need to go and get a proper job. I wish I had taken a video just to show people what music isn't except space was running short on the camera and I thought I'd save it for Roy and the boys.

So I learnt another valuable lesson on Wednesday night...not all unheard of musicians need to be heard!!

No comments:

Post a Comment