Thursday 12 November 2009

Driving is underrated...

Today I had the great pleasure of spending 3 hours in the car for work. Usually that'd be a real drag but for 3 uniquely brilliant things. First of all (and this is really something some of you particularly closer to the equator won't get) late autumn is amazing, I love the colours and there is something quite fascinating about piles of decaying leaves forming colourful patterns against usually mundane surfaces. Secondly, I realised how lucky I am to live in London. I drove past the Olympic site today and saw the rapid pace by which it's coming on and you know what, it made me proud to be British...even just for a moment. And to top it all off the sun was out and there was a lovely hazy foggy glow over the city which looked pretty cool.

So spending so much time in the car gave me a chance to have a really good musical session and to catch a second, third and maybe even fourth site of some music that I bought, played a bit then got distracted and moved on.

In fact I listened to 4 whole albums which I'd had for differing amounts of time. But for the purpose of tonight I'm going to focus on the artists that stunned me the most as was in fact first on...Cary Brothers.



I've had his EPs and his album "Who You Are" for a while and I really like his stuff but it never hit me how impressive it is. I fell in love with the album all over again. It's one of those albums that has an amazing array of sounds to it, there's some rich and complex ballads as well as a few upbeat rock tracks. There's a massive raft of musical sounds on show mixed in with at times some amazingly descriptive and painful (in the sense of hurting as opposed to bad) songwriting but what really hit me was the heavy piano ballads in particular The Glass Parade which almost knocked me off the road I was that engrossed in it. In fact it's one of those albums that has such a rich blend that I actually couldn't find one song I didn't like a lot and the overriding factor I was left with by the end of the album was "oh, is that it? i wanted more!".



Now I'll confess apart from having the music I didn't really know much about Cary until I did a bit of research for the blog and I discovered that he's actually quite well known and if you're of a certain age, you've almost probably heard of him as his songs have found their way into TV shows like Grey's Anatomy, ER, One Tree Hill, Smallville, Scrubs and a load of others...and that's why it probably took me so long to find his music...because I guess I just don't watch much TV let alone those shows.

Nonetheless, the album is awesome and if you don't know who he is, you need to go and find out more...right now!

Have a fun evening folks x

No comments:

Post a Comment