Sunday 22 November 2009

75 minutes of pure brilliance!

So this month has been quiet, in fact having just sat down to think about it for long enough I realised I haven't seen any live music AND that's maybe the reason why I've felt musically quite empty lately...well up until a whole host of music I received recently and then the discovery of 24 songs by the brilliant Paul Cook and the Chronicles which are available NOW for you to download for FREE!!!

So have you downloaded them yet? No? Why the hell not...it's FREE?!?!

And let me tell you, you'll not be in the least bit disappointed. Each and every one of the 24 songs available to download are outstanding and it's not often you can say that about any album or collection of music.


A mix of British pop, pop/rock, folk and rock focused mainly around the theme of love, relationships and heartbreak, Home Recordings show off both the talent of Paul as a musician but more importantly the depth of songwriting ability. I don't know why and maybe I'll be proving wrong but I have this feeling Paul is the type of singer/songwriter for whom words come easily. He's an uncomplicated songwriter, never trying to be overly clever, drawing on personal experiences, the messages in each song are clear and I'm a firm believer that there's no need to over complicate something...particularly if the concept is good.

There's a number of songs that really grab me but the one which is probably my absolute favourite and potentially one of the best songs I've heard this year is The Trees Cling To You (which I've posted in the sidebar in case some of you are being retarded and refusing to heed my advice and go and download the tracks).

It's a great little song which is I think is so quintessentially British and really portrays that feeling for longing for a totally amazing girl who just seems the centre of everyone elses world apart from yours (ooh that's quite deep...I think I should shut up there!). All I'll add to that is girls, at some point in your life at least one guy has felt like that about you and guys, you'll understand what I mean when you hear it.

Other tracks that really jump out for sheer quality and diversity are A Real Thunderbolt which deals with the absolute longing for the perfect life partner, Latest Squeeze which seems to nicely portray the feeling of being played by a woman (and also has a 70's feel to it) and Six Places, a song about making time and again falling in love and it going continually wrong. Oh and if none of those grab you, Monday Morning will resonate with the entire working world!


I actually can't recommend this collection of songs highly enough...if I were behind a record label I know what I'd do right now...oh, err... :-)

Night all xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment