Saturday 4 July 2009

Major breakthrough's and minor miracles

The title of my forthcoming album...I think not!!! You'll never see one of those from me... on the basis that some things are best left to those with real talent.

Anyhoo (I've always wanted to say that out loud and never done it)...I've owned a guitar for 8 months and been trying to teach myself how to play it. I go through frustrating parts where I feel like giving it up but then I have little breakthroughs which make me want to keep working at it.

The first was when I learnt properly how to play my first song, Walkaways (not the official video but I just found this and it's really cool) by Counting Crows from Recovering the Satellites, which is a short song with quite repetitive chords but something I've really struggled with is singing albeit badly with the guitar. I've found the concept of this totally alien to the point I actually almost gave up.

Early in June I was lucky to grab an hour or so with Greg Holden after his gig at Monkey Chews and over a few beers I said to him that I tried to sing and play and simply couldn't and I was so shocked to learn he couldn't either for the first 6 months. It made me feel a little less retarded, even if he was bending the truth to make me feel normal, which is possible.

So wind the clock forward a month and I've been trying to master his song Bar On A. I've got the chorus sorted and I play the bridge from the chorus into the verses brilliantly (IMHO) although I find the chords in the verses quite tricky at the moment. But there I was playing the chorus and all of a sudden bang, I started singing and it worked, to the point I did it again, and again and again....significant breakthrough, even if it's a tiny part of the song....it's still a result.

Anyways that's not a review of anything but my lack of talent, and perhaps a bit self-indulgent but I just felt it needed sharing with the world...oh and no I won't be youtubing or making a CD so please no requests...it would make you very very unwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment