Thursday 30 July 2009

Lots of Strange Folks and the Chronicles of Paul

Last night I asked the fantastic Lucy Rose and Simba if eARMusic ever put on a bad show. 6 shows in and the answer I keep forming in my own mind is NO!

Last night just confirmed again what I always say...there is nothing better than live music. Turned up to what's fast becoming one of my favourite places, the very cosy, homely and relaxing Monkey Chews in Chalk Farm with not a clue of who was performing, apart from Lucy would be hosting the evening so in my mind sub-conciously I set my expectations low...Greg Holden, Chloe Temtchine, Lisa Mitchell, Lucy Rose that calibre isn't easy to beat or come close to...but it was equalled again.

There were five acts but two that really stood out. First up was a total unknown, least to me...Paul Cook (and the Chronicles). As I now know Paul played in 2 previous bands...Brinkman and The Vessels and is sort of in the throws of forming a new band (hence the chronicles bit). Paul has a really good strong yet subtle voice that sort of reminds me a bit of Elvis Costello...maybe more than a bit but its cool either way. Anyways he played a great solo set and I stupidly didn't get more than 2 videos...which was a huge mistake. Anyways...check these out...

Bye Bye Him and Guilt

He also has a youtube channel...where there's some more videos of Paul playing in the bathroom. Go check him out, he is very cool.

Now my other little discovery, a band well two bands in one. So let me set the scene. There's one band (of 7 members) but then there's another band featuring half the actual band (3....so technically a lie....42.8% to be precise), playing under a different name....confused.com???? yep!!!!

I'll call them firstly by the collective name and then for the purposes of not confusing myself...I'll call them by the form the sub 43% form they took last night for the rest of the post...

Full Name - Roy Rieck and The Medley Band
Small Band - Strange Folks

So these are 3 guys I believe from THE Holy Land of Israel who all moved over to the UK a few months back...for the better weather of course...obviously to try and make some good music. I'll start by simply saying that the guys last night were three of the most talented musicians I have seen in a long time. Two amazing guitarists, one of whom simply owns the Lap Steel guitar whilst playing the Xylophone...impressive. The other is a vastly talents Electric guitarist of the highest order. Backing this up is Roy Rieck who sings and plays a beautiful Harmonica.

As a three-piece band they played a mix of electric and part acoustic folk/rock songs and judging by the CD I listened to and added to my iPod today, as a seven-strong unit they play the same but a bit more jazzy. There's some great tracks in there and if you're in London they're playing a few gigs near you soon...check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment