Friday 22 July 2011

Special of the Day

One of the most fun things about going out to a gig is finding new music that you didn't know existed that you really like. Today's recommendation comes from one of the last gigs I went to back at the end of May where I discovered James McKenzie and The Aquascene (see my previous blog entry for more detail).

Anyhow, James and the band have recently released a new 4-track EP which I was rather lucky to get my hands on. So what can I tell you? I'm a sucker for strings and guitars together, a real sucker - there's something deeply entrancing about the two sounds together and on this little collection, there's plenty of that mix.

The EP shows a band still very young in its development with much progress to make but with a clearly defined musical statement of intent. The concept of the band definitely works, not just because I say so, but because the music is in its own right pretty interesting. Align with that some very well written lyrics and you get a potentially winning formula.


Each of the songs on the EP stands up to the next very well and for me the band hit the absolute head of the nail with Boat Song, the last track on the EP. Occasionally something musical leaves me silenced by it's brilliance and this track is one of those. I think it's the strings that make the song really leap out but it messed my thought processes around so much that I had to listen to it a couple more times when I first heard it.

The EP is well worth a punt. Accept it for what it is and you'll be pleasantly amazed. Bear in mind this is a band still clearly quite green, in need of a bit of fine tuning (both in terms of instrumentation and vocals) and a good producer and you won't be let down. Look at the EP more as a concept for the future, I suspect the next instalment might be quite brilliant.

I'd strongly recommend you check it out! Oh and I almost forgot, it comes in CD format in a paper bag CD case. I can't describe it any better than that, buy one and you'll probably think it's cool like I do!

By the way I can't find a link to buy the EP but once I post this, I'm sure James will either give me a URL or post a reply with a link!

No comments:

Post a Comment